Author Topic: The future  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Mike Herrmann

Re: The future
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 02:46:04 AM »
Great conversation in this one. Some good advice that I'm hearing too.

Me and a few guys from my church did a decoy making project at a local boys home. I Pre cut some foam bodies, top view only, and pre made some heads. The first day, we shaped the bodies with sureform rasps and sand paper. Then we burlapped them. It was messy, but all10 kids did one. The following weekend, we painted them with samples of Behr latex.

The cost was pretty low and the kids had fun. I'm sure we could just skip the burlap and do the whole thing in one day.

We've done a few projects there over the years, and every time, the guys and I were all blessed by those kids.  A boy I was working with, just all of a sudden looked up and said to me " I really appreciate you for coming here and spending time with us, I figured I wouldn't have anything to do again."  The following week, those kids visited our little church and that 14 year old walked up to the front and asked the Lord into his life.  It was wonderful to have a small part in that. I don't know who was blessed more that day, us or the kids.

I think the trick for getting kids interested, is doing something simple. In just a few hours they had a painted decoy.  Heck, even the adults enjoyed it. We also do the pinewood derby racers, for the same reason.. simplicity.  Just an idea I wanted to share. Glad this thread reminded me of it.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 02:46:04 AM »

Offline T Madray

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 05:42:04 PM »
Awesome

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 05:42:04 PM »

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 10:48:40 PM »
Digging back through the old threads. This one was a good read. I did the carving clbooty.. again this year. We have 17kids carving Cackling Geese this year. They will finish Tuesday and show this coming Saturday.

This one belongs to me, so I will share her picture.

It’s good to have the forums back. I’m glad to have this resource back.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:13:13 PM by Robert Mitchell »
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 09:58:28 AM »
Matt -

The future looks very bright indeed.

Two thumbs way up!

VP

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 11:44:25 AM »
I am glad to have this forum back as well. It seems like this format is fading though. Are we promoting this site? I would love to take info to some of the shows and places I go if they are open to it.
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 11:44:25 AM »

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 11:46:04 PM »
The kids show on Saturday. Should be 17 of them. Out last clbooty of the year was tonight. With -30degree temps we only had 8 come to the last clbooty. And two turned in birds last week. The others have made arrangements to get paint so they can finish.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline BlaineN

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 12:25:31 AM »
what is a clbooty??
Blaine

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 04:44:03 AM »
what is a clbooty??

It’s what happens when the bad language filter is a little to strong and takes things out of context. C L A S S

Room full of kids or adults all learning from an instructor
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline george williams

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 07:03:00 PM »
All the people I have mentored have learned to leave their $#$#% smartphones in the kitchen before coming to the dungeon. That is a time to focus on task. Personally, I find the number of folks addicted to that little box overwhelming.  Guys who hunt would rather have the immediate gratification of plastic taxidermy look-alikes tht all of their kindred spirits have, than spend some right brained time on creating something from scratch.
Anyone near dover, my door is always open, just leave that  little idiot obx in your vehicle, or on the table. :-*
Matt, love the variations from kid to kid, even though they all basically began with the same surface,  NOW, the trick is to keep them and their parents connected and eager to make their own rigs of decoys.
My absolute best experience with mentoring occurred the first year that Ward did the program -I had ten high schoolers, all with different abilities, each making a different species. Amazing how much help they all were to each other, and how much fun it was multitasking. Best part was that their ag instructor got us connected at prime hook, and they all hunted over their own stuff. Paint part was loads of fun, having to bring a large bunch of bodies for the kids to use as references. ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:13:33 PM by george williams »
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

• Webmaster
  • Sponsor
  • (T)ogether (E)veryone (A)chieves (M)ore
    • Web Presence Consulting
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 11:46:45 PM »
what is a clbooty??

It’s what happens when the bad language filter is a little to strong and takes things out of context. C L A S S

There are tweaks to those settings that can fix that, but unfortunately it's no longer my call...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Offline benp

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 01:41:36 PM »
what is a clbooty??

There are tweaks to those settings that can fix that, but unfortunately it's no longer my call...

Well the one who is charge of it now should consider Changing the settings. People don't want to try to decipher what is written because the system changes it unnecessarily
Benjamin Pendleton
NE NC