Author Topic: Not decoys, but duck related.  (Read 756 times)

Offline Matt Gau

Not decoys, but duck related.
« on: February 15, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »
The ice is quickly deteriorating here so I had to move my spring duck projects up by a few weeks. I built 4-new woodduck/hooded merganser boxes. 3-for my use and 1-for someone else. I also had two in storage, that were reclaimed and saved for future use.

So for us here that makes 5-mallard/teal tubes regrbootyed and repaired. 4-new duck boxes over water installed and bedded, and 3 tree hung boxes hung/bedded, two were preexisting. Everything is ready for nesting season.

So much nicer to put these in when there is ice.

Anyone else got any projects in the works?

Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Working Decoys Forum

Not decoys, but duck related.
« on: February 15, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »

Offline Matt Gau

Re: Not decoys, but duck related.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:55:39 AM »
We had 50% nest rate (mergansers, no woodducks) on the tree hung boxes on this lake last year. Tubes went in to late to be used. I'm hoping to see them get used this year.

We had 70% use rate (woodducks) on the over the water boxes on different ponds last season. Tubes were at 80% on those ponds. Hoping to see a use on this lake by adding over the water boxes here. My hunting partner did add two boxes on those other ponds as well this weekend.

Keeping detailed notes to see what works and what doesn't.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:57:55 AM by Matt Gau »
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:55:39 AM »

Offline Andy Schmahl

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 10:19:06 PM »
What kind of pipe are you using. I have houses, but no trees.

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 01:37:29 AM »
I used 1 1/2" x 10' galvanized pipe. And mounted the boxes with a U-bolt at the top and bottom after I drove the pipe in with a post driver.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Michael.McCord

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 08:33:38 PM »
The ducks are better off with a slick pole or pipe. Harder for the coons and snakes to get the nest. If you put them in trees, you really need to wrap some metal flashing around the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 08:33:38 PM »

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 10:48:25 PM »
I've never had an issue with my tree mounted boxes. Most of them are in my yard or my neighbors yards.

We don't have tree snakes here and the possums and raccoons have been trapped and hunted into oblivion as well.

Remember, these are cavity nesters. They would prefer to live in natural tree cavities. Modern tree care has taken many of those away, so we now provide them. So you can feel free to wrap your trees in metal if you want to, these ones will stay the way they are.

Going forward any future installs on this lake will be pole mounted and over the water.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Russ Sewell

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »
Great work!  Congrats and hats off to you!   :) :D

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »
Early spot checks have one of the boxes installed last month being fought over by two hens. Guess they like the view. Two of the mallard/teal tubes have birds snooping around them as well.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 07:43:33 PM »
Boxes for install this spring. A pair of woodduck boxes given to me by a friend that will be installed at the lake here at home. #8 and #9. We had a 100% use rate on boxes in 2018. 7 boxes total, 106hatched eggs, 8-failed. Considering the terrible spring nesting season we had I will take that. Half and half hooded merganser and woodduck.

The others are going to be the start of a new nesting complex. The holes have been cut slightly larger to accommodate goldeneyes as well as woodducks and hooded mergansers. I am excited to see if they get used this spring or if they get messed with.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
Got all 6 boxes installed this past weekend. Between 3 and 5 feet of snow over the ice to dig through. All the boxes are on 1 1/2” galvanized pipe.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 07:45:57 PM »
So for reference, the boxes are 5 1/2 - 6’ off the surface of the water.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Jeff Fenerty

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 10:14:16 AM »
We hung 8 the other weekend. Several in ponds and flooded timber. Huge beaver pond got a couple also. Biggest beaver dam I have ever seen.
?The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasums, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at best know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their