Author Topic: Cold weather Gear for kids  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Mike Herrmann

Cold weather Gear for kids
« on: February 09, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »
I tried bringing my two yutes (7 and 8 yrs) out for MS youth hunt which was the first Saturday in February. The temps were low 30's till 10am. This included a boat ride in the dark. Out of an abundance of caution, I let the rest of our party go without us. I felt unprepared with my kids gear so we had breakfast at the Best Western. We hit the launch at 8am and basically made a boat ride.  The others were coming out soon after we arrived. We missed the hunt. Better safe than sorry.
I am now on a mission to gear them up.  I'm interested in hearing about what gear (waders, jackets, base layers) you use for your kids in what temps, wind etc. please share your experience with what works and what temps you hunt them in.
 Not looking to spend a fortune. Also, I may be interested in buying some good used waders, jackets, mittens, or fleece layers. My son is size 10 and daughter is size 14.

I remember hunting in 20 degrees at 10 yrs old. I wore uninsulated Chinese hip boots that were tight on my feet. Wool socks didn't help. Too tight. Miserable experience. I just remember getting cold a lot easier when I was a kid.

Working Decoys Forum

Cold weather Gear for kids
« on: February 09, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »