Author Topic: Idea for Timber hunting decoys  (Read 19842 times)

Offline Mike Herrmann

Idea for Timber hunting decoys
« on: February 07, 2017, 11:45:39 PM »
So I've been hunting timber for two seasons now. I'm totally hooked now. This stuff brings on a whole new set of logistics to work out. Since the green tree reservoirs and sloughs we hunt require a mile or more hike through the woods, decoys suddenly become quite a challenge. The guys I hunt with use inflatables and can pack a decent spread in a couple of backpacks. I went along with that, but finally brought out 6 homemade mallards in a six slot bag. Not exactly a big set of decoys.

So now I'm out to create a custom decoy to suit my needs in the Timber. And I think I'm on to something.

So I'm wondering if any of you walk in with decoys and what kind of decoy set up do you Bring?  Anyone use low profile foamers to fit more decoys in the bag?

Working Decoys Forum

Idea for Timber hunting decoys
« on: February 07, 2017, 11:45:39 PM »

Offline george williams

Re: Idea for Timber hunting decoys
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 07:32:29 AM »
Think about a decoy sled if you insist on carrying your own stuff in.  This way, you can free your hands up for other tasks.  Ages ago, I switched over from bags, simply because they were just a pita to choulder.  You can also think about making balsa dekes!
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 07:32:29 AM »

Offline Bill Clark

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »
We don't have much walk in hunting around here but i have used a cabelas floating backpack bag and herters mod 72 sukduk decoys. I think the bag weighs about as much as the decoys. I epoxied my 72's to help with wear issues when placed in a common bag. Works for me.

Offline Lloyd Heins

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »
I'm fixing' to attempt something similar.  My plan is to hollow out a foam body (Suc-duc style) with no bottom or keel.  Balsa wood for the heads.  I'll coat it in west systems epoxy to create a durable ouster shell  then run 3' line with 1 oz weight.  Should hold them in most situations.  Seems to work in my mind.  I told my wife I wouldn't carve foam anymore but I can't seem to get her to pack my decoy bag either.  What ever happened to "for better or worse"?  lol
The older I get, the better I was...

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »
The sled that George mentioned works very well indeed. My walk in rig is canvas/wire, canvas/slat, puddle ducks, and very light black cork teal.

When I did lots of timber hunting years ago for Mallards & Black Ducks. I used very light plastic decoys that floated in a mesh bag. Never more than 6-7 decoys were needed and Canada Goose decoys worked the best, with a few Mallards or Blacks.

When birds were working, we stood close to large tree trunks and kicked our legs to give motion to the decoys and ripples in the water. It was mighty fine hunting and worth the long walks, long as ya knew where the submerged beaver runs were... A good stout walking stick is a must.

How many times have you dropped your gun in the water so far? Sooner or later it's bound to happen. :)

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 12:43:13 PM »
George, I forgot to mention that the mile walk is in dry woods before we arrive at the sloughs. Too many big trees laying down in our way too.  I bet that sled would be great if my walk was in the shallow slough. May work for some of the spots.  Thanks.

Lloyd and Bill, I'm definitely thinking about foam bodys with suc duc bottoms.  I'm also thinking 3-inch tall foam body.  I should be able to fit three bodys in one bag slot.  I'm also thinking about making a pvc receptacle at the neck that pbootyes thru the body.  Then a removable head with a 2-inch stud and eye ring.  The eye will have a snapped decoy line and a cylinder shaped weight smaller dia than the pvc.  The whole thing slides, weight first into the top of the receptacle; head plugs in and just sits there for the hunt.  Keep all the heads and lines (tangle free) in a separate bag . When I get to the hole plug them in and hunt.

Wind is never an issue in the timber, so don't need much weight and decoys will be wide anyway and wont flip in wind (in case I use them in a more open environment).

Vince, you are surely right.  A young kid hunted with us on a 20 degree day a few weeks back.  Dropped his gun.  Instant Popsickle. Loaned him my extra set of gloves so he could stay.  Next week another buddy went down and got water in his waders at 18 degrees.  Had to go in a 8:00am.  Gonna happen. 

Offline Phil Boyles

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 12:53:46 PM »
Hire a sherpa.  Glad I could help.  :P

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 02:57:37 PM »
Mike - We always went in at shooting time, or much later, never in the dark. Listened to where the birds were, then eased in until they flushed, and then set up. When pairs and small groups returned we would shoot. Large flocks = Do Not Shoot. Why wise up lots of birds and push them deeper into the timber?

It was strictly forbidden to shoot any birds on the flush. Many of our best hunts were when other guys had gone home, after going in at dark to their spot.

Those were the days before neoprene waders and really good gloves. So ya had to be careful, but $hit happens. We prepared as best we could for each hunt.

More than once I had to dip my 1100, after dropping it in the water, to get it unfrozen to function again. Then pronto tear it apart, dry it off and hope for the best.

Drying everything, cleaning guns and getting ready for the next hunt was a PITA but well worth it.

I'd say that there are no easy ways to walk in timber hunt, thank goodness. ;D

Offline george williams

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 06:31:18 PM »
I used the sled to drag stuff from car to blinds-in some cases a half mile or more. Grbooty, fallen timber, water. I just liked the idea that it was possible to tow stuff behind me, freeing up my hands. It just made sense to avoid putting any more unndcessary weight on my body, and the sled really worked out super.
so many carvers, so few decoy makers

Offline Justin Hallmark

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 09:26:53 AM »
I do several walk-in hunts at the greentrees around here and a sled is the way to go! I can put 2 dozen decoys, jerk rig, mojo, a couple blind bags, and a couple shotguns in mine and I hardly notice it floating behind me. Although next year I plan to have a pirogue to pull the sled with. Those 1 mile walks through waste deep water were hard to make on consecutive mornings, but watching those greenheads work through the trees always made it worth it!

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 09:48:56 AM »
If your a minimalist, the sleds do work very well dragging on everything but gravel. Problems arise when your buddies want to take more stuff than is really needed. ::)

Sleds are like fishing vests with lots of pockets. There is plenty of room for stuff ya don't need, so ya fill it up. ;)

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »
Sounds like it would work in some of the spots we hunt. Good info.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:05:05 PM by Mike Herrmann »

Offline Michael.McCord

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 05:47:21 PM »
We have used deer carts for walk in hunts too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bill Clark

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 09:19:43 PM »
Mike,H  I like your anchor idea should work well. I have been coating my styrofoam decoys with epoxy then shaking on fine corn cob, gives a nice texture and is very hard. I usually apply one coat of sealer before i finish paint.

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 10:02:17 AM »
Mike - I like your decoy design. It reminds me of some old gunning decoys I have seen in decoy books.  Waterfowlers are always trying to find a better way to do things for their own hunting conditions. Hunting over your own decoys that do the job is very rewarding. Save your drawings, you will enjoy looking at them many years from now.

Keep us posted on your progress.