Author Topic: Idea for Timber hunting decoys  (Read 15725 times)

Offline Matt Gau

Re: Idea for Timber hunting decoys
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 04:23:59 PM »
I like the low profile ones. I think a lot of decoys now days ride much to high in the water already. I would like to see what they oook like when they are swimming.

The bottles is a good concept. Wonder if it ever worked in practice?
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 04:23:59 PM »

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 04:33:36 PM »
Jim Kelson, balsa Redhead - 1930's, repaint by Kelson and added to my collection many years ago below tag price. :)

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 04:33:36 PM »

Offline Tony Banks

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2017, 09:55:11 PM »
Yes, the bottles work. I bought 3 dozen mallard years ago. Repainted one dozen into blue-collar. Filled the hollow keeps with sand. Painted the bottles and applied the detail decals on the mallards. I killed several ducks over them.

The downside, the plastic bases that used be on the bottom of the 2 liters are required for bottles to be held in place in the decoy frame. Often the bases would split or come unglued from the bottle.

I'll dig some out of the barn and share some pics.

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 04:29:27 PM »
I remember those. That was the 80's. Back when the 2 liters had a black plastic container glued on the bottom. Never bought those rigs.  I'm sure the paint wouldn't stick to those slick bottles. I did try spraying  2 liters with black. Flaked off. Tried roofing pitch too. Eventually I just got enough decoys to use.

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 04:40:50 PM »
Greg, that's a nice decoy. Amazing that it survived this long. I would love to know how thick it is. My problem is trying to get a decent profile out of 2-inches. Not much to work with.
I'm not going to let that bother me tho. Shouldn't matter in the Timber. I'm determined to get 18 birds in a 6 slot bag. That would be worth the trouble.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 04:40:50 PM »

Offline Greg Rogers

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2017, 08:49:19 PM »
Hey Mike after measuring that redhead it's actually 3" thick. Body is 7.5x12"

Good luck in your quest for light weight. I've been going the same route with my spread transitioning from crappy old carri lights and solid cedar decoys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dave Speer

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2017, 10:41:50 PM »
Greg, that's a nice decoy. Amazing that it survived this long. I would love to know how thick it is. My problem is trying to get a decent profile out of 2-inches. Not much to work with.
I'm not going to let that bother me tho. Shouldn't matter in the Timber. I'm determined to get 18 birds in a 6 slot bag. That would be worth the trouble.

I always like a good challenge!  I bet if you keep em real simple/clbootyy you'll be fine.  Especially if you're using foamers without keels, they are gonna float right on top of the water anyway, rather than sink down 3/4" or more like wood decoys.

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2017, 09:35:59 PM »
My 3 inch body's look fine. Going down to 2-" is a big difference.  Hard to avoid a flat profile. Dave I agree. They'll look fine once they're painted and have a nice head on them.
I made a dozen mallard heads last night and this eve.  6 more to go for my 18 bird pack.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:52:09 PM by Mike Herrmann »

Offline Tony Banks

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2017, 07:56:52 PM »
Pics of my HS 2 liter decoys, I haven't used them in 25 years. Some glue on the bottle bases and maybe fill the bottle with some Great Stuff and they can probably be used again.

Offline Tony Banks

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2017, 08:00:42 PM »
Mallard repainted as a bluebill

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2017, 09:06:30 AM »
Looks like the paint held up fine. Amazing, consider the slick surface. What paint was it?

Offline Tony Banks

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2017, 10:49:12 AM »
I probably sanded the bottles and bottle bases. The Gray and brown came with the decoys, I think it was HD brand aerosol. The black on the bluebill was aerosol enamel. The blue on the bluegill was probably Testors enamel. I may have used Testors for detail on the mallard bottleast too; the decals (detail) didn't hold up too well.

Offline Matt Gau

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2017, 12:31:54 PM »
Looking at those pictures makes me chuckle. We get all worked up if the bill is the wrong color grey or a tail board sits too close to the water.

Those decoys pulled birds once and would likely do it again.
Matt Gau
Grumpy Decoys
m-gau@hotmail.com

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2017, 02:53:10 PM »
Clorox plastic containers painted flat black toll birds, no need for a pretend head and tail. The handle makes a good place to tie the anchor line.

We can make it as simple, or as complicated as we want. The birds really don't care.

Offline Scott Russell

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2017, 09:14:08 PM »
Clorox plastic containers painted flat black toll birds, no need for a pretend head and tail. The handle makes a good place to tie the anchor line.

We can make it as simple, or as complicated as we want. The birds really don't care.

Agreed.

Ducks aren't exactly the smartest animal in the world.  Hunters give them far more credit than they deserve...usually to make a hunter feel better about his mistakes in the field.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Socrates