Author Topic: Idea for Timber hunting decoys  (Read 15656 times)

Offline Mike Herrmann

Re: Idea for Timber hunting decoys
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 01:32:30 PM »
Bill what kind of epoxy is it? How long is the working time?

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 01:32:30 PM »

Offline Bill Clark

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 01:41:47 PM »
Mike, U.S. Composites 3to1. Have never timed it. Usually working on groups in different stages so it may be days or weeks to get back to the next step. Generally sets up well overnight if temperature is right. On small projects in cold weather i use a "rack" over an electric heater cure time is overnight. Hope this helps.
Bill

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 01:41:47 PM »

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
How much time do you have to cover it with sawdust? Just wondering if I could paint epoxy on several decoys at once (say 4 or 5) and then cover all right after.

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »
I shaped a magnum body yesterday but I discovered that only 2 will fit in a slot. So either I will have to live with that or make the bodies only 2-inch tall. Might look like a Itza Pizza Pie duck.. Batta bing batta boom. I guess I'll try one and post a pic.
Probably won't matter since the ducks are lookin down anyway.  Comments?? Opinions?

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 06:58:52 PM »
Lloyd, the balsa heads will be fragile as eggs. I made some with tupelo. Bills snapped off one by one. I guess you can use mails.

Working Decoys Forum

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 06:58:52 PM »

Offline Bill Clark

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 08:50:54 PM »
Mike,I mix small batches of epoxy,coat a decoy then immediately shake on the cob. Grab another bird coat it and shake cob. If memory serves i can coat 3 birds before the epoxy starts to kick. Larger quantities of epoxy may give more work time, i try not to waste any. Also using a flour sifter makes the cob process quicker.
Bill.

Offline Michael.McCord

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 08:58:40 PM »
For me, larger volumes tend to kick quicker because the heat that is generated speeds up the chemical reaction. US comp also offers a slow setting hardener that will give you more "open time" before it kicks. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bill Clark

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2017, 10:20:38 AM »
Mike M, Thanks for the reminder seems to me i remember reading that some where. I'll be doing some mod 81 geese this summer a little extra time would help.

Offline DakotaJ

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 12:34:03 AM »
So either I will have to live with that or make the bodies only 2-inch tall. .  Comments?? Opinions?

Most of my decoys arent much taller than that.  Remember, for the most part, puddle ducks are only looking down at the back of the decoys. 
?They'll have to shoot me first to take my gun?
 Roy Rogers

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 01:16:11 PM »
Exactly my point.
I made a body the other night that is magnum size but only 2-inches tall. Looks like a thick pancake. I'll finish it and post a pic. Not gonna win any contests with it.

Offline Bill Clark

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 10:12:21 PM »
Sounds like you guys are talking "flatties". I made 3 a couple of years ago and hunted them a couple of times, they show up better than i thought they would. Used 2" pink foam burlapped.

Offline Vince Pagliaroli

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 05:32:01 PM »
They have worked for many, many years, and were the choice of many outlaw gunners. If the law got too close, they would leave the rig. As they did not have much time, or $$ invested in the decoys. Lotta ducks went to dinner over crude pancake decoys. Way more than today's Taxidermy Replicas.

Offline Mike Herrmann

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 11:42:44 PM »

Offline Greg Rogers

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 11:18:26 AM »
Here is a St Clair Flats sneak boat rig decoy from the 30s carved by a guy named Pecore Fox. Sneak boat rigs had to be super light weight since you typically rowed out in a small boat and then rowed back upwind to let the ducks work after the decoys were set. Then sneak down to them and jump shoot them out of the decoys.

These were made out of balsa and aren't much more than 2" thick. Super light and according to local lore they were very lifelike compared to what most people were using at the time.

I always like the look of the heads he made on these and am planning to make a "tribute string" of these and cans that he made so I can keep the tradition alive and hunt over them. Obviously this one has seen better days as evidenced by the bondo, broken tail, missing keel, spray paint etc... one thing I thought was unique, they used red eyes on this one. Must have run out of yellow ones??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk