Author Topic: Asking for some help - with a chance to win a few decoys  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Scott Klecka

• Administrator
    • WorkingDecoys.Net
Asking for some help - with a chance to win a few decoys
« on: May 13, 2013, 07:27:12 AM »
Over time we have our little "discussions" around here about things like competitions, flocking, details needed on a working bird, decoy materials, the best finishing technique, what was said on this or that forum,.....  It always seems like it is a really big deal at the time.  I get wrapped up in it as much as the next guy but I have a family health issue that keeps me straight on where my priorities are.  

My nephew diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis at the age of 1.  If you don't know what Cystic Fibrosis is, it is a breathing and digestive disorder.  For the most part, his lungs do not function normal and his digestive track does not absorb the nutrients.  To give you a example, if you think about the worst case of the flu that you have ever had, it would be a very good day for him breathing wise.  He is now 16, and on the 28th of May, my sister and him are relocating to St. Louis so he can be placed on the waiting list for a double lung transplant.

The cost of a lung transplant was estimated in 2007 to be around $550,000 plus and additional 65K for follow up doctor visits and medications that will total nearly 30K a year.  While both my sister and brother in law are employed as teachers and have insurance, the cost of the procedure will well exceed the "lifetime max" on their insurance coverage.  Couple that with the fact that my sister will be taking a leave of absence from work while they are in St. Louis, and they will be keeping two households and it is clear that there will be major financial issues.  

We are looking to raise money to help them with the financial burdens.  Below is a fund raising letter that was sent out that gives more details and a link to his website.  They are asking for a donation of $3 from as many people as possible but the mods here and I are wanting to see if we can do a bit more.  We are going to have a 3 bird raffle for $10 a ticket.

Below are pictures of the decoys:
Scott R - Ringneck

Rob James - Spoonie

Scott Klecka - Redhead
PICt TO FOLLOW - still being painted

We will have the drawing on June 1st

THE LETTER THAT A FRIEND OF MY SISTER SENT OUT:
During their son’s first birthday party, the McQueen’s received the news that no parent wants to hear: that their child had been diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis, a chronic genetic disorder that massively affects the lungs. This diagnosis was prompted by his “failure to thrive” which was why their baby did not want to eat and cried often. More frightening was the fact that this would eventually require a double lung transplant if he lived that long.

Luckily, Gerald has lived that long; he is now sixteen years old. He attends high school and enjoys playing Madden and watching football in his free time. In the school district he attends, they require that students be present for 162 days; however, due to countless extended-stay (up to 41 days!) hospital visits, Gerald has only been able to be present for his junior year of high school a total of 78 days. His disease has not only affected his health, but also his education and the normal life experiences that you and I take for granted every single day. To learn more about Gerald’s story, visit http://www.geralds2ndbreath.com.

The parents, Lynn and Fitzgerald, are public school teachers that have dedicated their lives to teaching and raising the children of others. Over the last 16 years, the parents have exhausted all their sick leave, personal leave and of course, their savings. The family may very well lose their house if they are not able to mobilize others to help them. Lynn, Gerald’s mother, will no longer be able to work for the next year because she must relocate to St. Louis, Missouri with Gerald. It is here at one of the best children hospitals in the country that they are hoping to find Gerald a double lung transplant match. Gerald’s father and sister, Fitzgerald and Hope, will remain in North Alabama so that Fitzgerald can work to try to save their house and provide a semblance of “normality” for their elementary age daughter, Hope.

So we are asking family, friends, loved ones, and those that seek to give every child a chance to live to do two simple things to help extend Gerald’s life. First, follow this link, www.geralds2ndbreath.com  to donate $3.00. It will not take any time at all! Then, forward and challenge everyone in your various address books to do the same. It is tax deductible and you can save a life by doing so. The goal is to raise money that will go towards Gerald’s medical expenses and towards household bills that will continue to rise due to maintaining two households in two different states off of a teacher’s income.

All donations, big and small, are greatly appreciated by the McQueen family, as we would be honored for you to help us out. Their EIN number for the Gerald’s Second Breath Foundation is 80-0907179.

www.geralds2ndbreath.com

I appreciate any and all support you can give.  Please forward the information on the raffle and the fund raising efforts to any sites you frequent.  The more we spread the word the better..
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:41:26 PM by Scott Klecka »
I'm not a great carver but I play one on the internet.  :)

The old quote - "One man's trash is another's treasure"
The new quote - "One man's gunner is another's mantle bird"

Offline tom modin

• Global Moderator
Re: Asking for some help - with a chance to win a few decoys
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 07:44:31 AM »
done, for a great cause
Decoy carving is not a point and click hobby

Offline Phil Boyles

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:02:59 AM »
I'm in too, glad to help out.

Offline CJ

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:07:52 AM »
Glad to pitch in, hope everything goes well!

Offline larry A

• 2013 Sponsor
  • "you only get what you receive"
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 10:32:06 AM »
I'm in. Larry

RickC

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 11:00:06 AM »
Done, as someone else that lives with someone with debilitating illnesses we know all to well the pressures that surround them.

Offline marty m.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 11:08:16 AM »
scott, i am sorry to hear and this may not help your situation but may give him a lift of spirits if he is able to do so : Their is a organization locally called Hunt of a Lifetime that gives hunting and fishing trips to kids and teens with a illness such as your nephew has. they are good people and will do anything to get him a all paid trip to hunt or fish. Ted Nugent and many others has helped this organization have great success in doing so. I understand it wont help the surgery but it may give him a few days of something he may have always wanted to do, if he is capable of doing it. Its just a thought and you know if it will be possible for him but if you are interested just google it. If you cant find it let me know and i will contact them for you.
The day i hate waterfowl hunting will be the day I die.

Offline E kershaw

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:46:37 AM »
Im in from this side of the pond, just let me know how to get the dollers over to you and it will be on its way, 3 dollers does,nt seam much for a caurse like this so put me in for 20 dollers.

Eddie.

Offline QuentonL

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »
Glad to help. I'm in for $20. I wish you and your family the best Scott.

Offline Scott Klecka

• Administrator
    • WorkingDecoys.Net
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 12:31:55 PM »
Hey guys   Thanks for the support. For those of you who asked about donating more than $10, if you click on the PayPal button you can get more than one ticket.

Marty, thanks for the idea.  I will look into it but at this point I don't think it will work. Once he is on the active list, he can't be more than 3 hours from the hospital in case a donor set of lungs become available

We do have another decoy that has been offered up. I will post it up as soon as I work out the details on it

Eddie, let me know if you can't do Paypal from across the pond.

Offline Scott Klecka

• Administrator
    • WorkingDecoys.Net
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 02:08:10 PM »
just so you know, the PayPal button goes directly to his fund.  I had my sister set up the button so any funds would go to there and not have to pass through me.  I did this so that the tax deduction would still be good (if the money comes to me, I don't think it would work the same)

I will have him, pick the winner when the raffle is done. 

I don't spend much time on other forums but if you do and are comortable doing it, I would appreciate a cross link posted on the other forums.  I don't want to do it on places that I am not an active member.  If you are willing to do it, please check with the forum mods to make sure it is OK first.

Thanks for everything

Scott

Offline cogar

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »
I'm in.  Let us know if there is anything else that we can do to help.  I have plenty of friends and family around St. Louis.

Offline Scott Klecka

• Administrator
    • WorkingDecoys.Net
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 06:46:31 AM »
Here is my decoy for the raffle, a simple NJ style gunner:

RickC has been kind enough to donate this decoy to the cause:

This is the BONUS decoy that will be included if we sell 50 tickets - (We are at 35 at last check)
Thanks to Tom Modin for offering up this bird:

Thanks to everyone who donated decoys or bought tickets.  I wish you could hear the excitement in my sister's voice when I talk to her about the raffle and what y'all are doing to help them out.

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »
 Scott, I am in for a couple. Happy to help out.

Ron
Contrary to belief, nobody owes you anything!

Offline benp

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 02:26:15 PM »
Got 2, would get more to help out but cant spend too much. I know the seriousness of CF because my son that was born this past Thirsday has 25%chance of having it. We are waiting for him to be tested but I'm trusting and believing that he does not. I'll be sure to pray for Gerald and his family. God bless y'all.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
― Dr. Seuss
This is what Ducks Unlimited is all about, hunters caring a whole awful lot about ducks!