Author Topic: decoy molds for dummies  (Read 2031 times)

Offline David Whipp

decoy molds for dummies
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »
Ok....Ive been lurking and reading this site for a while now. I am interested in making some molded decoys.  Could someone help me understand the different ways to make molded decoys?  List  pros/cons to the various methods.  So far, I have came across the aluminum molds with foam beads, and fiberglass/rubber molds with two part mixtures?

THANKS,
David

Offline tonyh

• waterfowl-works
Re: decoy molds for dummies
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »
David, thats about your 2 options.

The aluminum molds are not something you can make and must be bought as you must know.

rubber fiberglass molds you can make but need materials to do so and they too cost.

Bottom line for me and I have done them all if your just wanting to make decoys and are not a carver and don't have decoys to copy then buy aluminum molds. If your a carver and can make decoys to mold use silicone molding techniques. the cheapest is the walmart way but I never had any luck with them myself. must have done them wrong or something.

EPS or Urethane well I prefer EPS now days because of Paint problems with Urethane. However there are ways to make that better, uing silicone molds or by fine polishing aluminum molds.

It must be looked at as a hobby and not a way to save a ton of money or your gonna be very unhappy with the results money wise.
www.waterfowl-works.com

Decoys, Decoy Molds and supplies.
Layout boats and plans to build your own.

Offline David Whipp

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:48:54 AM »
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.  I am not a carver and have little to no artistic abilities.  I am not looking to spend a fortune, but I would like the satisfaction of hunting over decoys that I made.

Just ran across this thread:  http://workingdecoys.net/workingdecoysforum/index.php?topic=1718.0 

It has some great info.  I just want to make two or three dozen decoys to hunt over, and I am trying to understand the processes and also the densities of the various materials.

THANKS AGAIN

Offline e tuch

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 01:25:13 PM »
I made myself a silicone and fiberglass body mold. It's been a very rewarding process so far. I've molded around 50 bodies out of 2 part foam. I'm hoping to do around 60-65  For my heads I bought an aluminum mold. When it's all said and done my finished decoys will cost me around $8 a piece and that's with the price of the mold included. I don't think that's too bad for a decoy that should last forever

Offline Kurt Bergner

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:36:34 PM »

It must be looked at as a hobby and not a way to save a ton of money or your gonna be very unhappy with the results money wise.

This is no lie.  Just think about the coatings!  I decided to make a few dozen foamers this off season, just for fun.  I have spent well more than a couple hundred bucks on mastic, corn cob, spar, tightbond, apoxie, and paint.  That's not even counting foam or molds!

Offline tonyh

• waterfowl-works
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »

This is no lie.  Just think about the coatings!  I decided to make a few dozen foamers this off season, just for fun.  I have spent well more than a couple hundred bucks on mastic, corn cob, spar, tightbond, apoxie, and paint.  That's not even counting foam or molds!

It will only benefit those who want to make lots and lots of decoys. I am sure you can buy a couple dozen for less than what it will cost you to make them. The foam alone is basicaly 300.00 if you buy 5gal kits. B ut everyone loves doing it and mostwill sell a few to budies and such to offset the cost and thats the nice part about it.
www.waterfowl-works.com

Offline Joe Foxall

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:02:30 AM »
At the extreme low end a good decoy and be made for $2.00 but you have to spend a lot of money and effort to get set up. Natural gas,10 mold boiler for eps, dozens of molds, "deal " on eps, 8lb urethane heads except for small heads, bulk prices on nails, paint, glue, mastic and burlap......hmmmm....make that $2.50 and throw in an obsessive/compulsive personality and no need for a life!
when in doubt pry it out!

Offline tonyh

• waterfowl-works
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 08:08:07 AM »
At the extreme low end a good decoy and be made for $2.00 but you have to spend a lot of money and effort to get set up. Natural gas,10 mold boiler for eps, dozens of molds, "deal " on eps, 8lb urethane heads except for small heads, bulk prices on nails, paint, glue, mastic and burlap......hmmmm....make that $2.50 and throw in an obsessive/compulsive personality and no need for a life!

Hahahaha.

How true that is. Its not about the cost its about killing ducks though right?  ;D
www.waterfowl-works.com

Offline David Whipp

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 10:22:27 AM »
OK.......Time to start the trial and error.

Aluminum mold is in hand and I have found a semi-local source for EPS.  I plan to follow the original Decoys Unlimited molding instructions (THANKS lbroadwater)

Can I expect a smooth, hard decoy?

Do I need to do any prep on my mold?  It has been used and is in good shape and is clean.

Thinking much farther out.....If I decide to try the 2-part foam for the heads, will I need to drill vent holes in the mold, or will it vent at the seem?  (I don't really like the idea of drilling the mold)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:02:45 PM by David Whipp »

Offline Steve Meadows

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »
David;
I don't claim to have the experience that some of the other guys here on the forum but I'd be glad to show you how to make the urethane foam dekes.
Not sure where you are in Central Va but I'm on the south side just north of Danville. Let me know if I can help.

Offline David Whipp

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 10:15:30 AM »
David;
I don't claim to have the experience that some of the other guys here on the forum but I'd be glad to show you how to make the urethane foam dekes.
Not sure where you are in Central Va but I'm on the south side just north of Danville. Let me know if I can help.

Hello,

THANKS for the offer.  I may just take you up on it....  I'm in Chesterfield.  From looking at google its about two hours to Danville.  Would I be able to use my aluminum molds (without drilling holes in them) to pour urethane decoys?

THANKS

Offline Steve Meadows

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 04:24:29 AM »
You're going to need some holes as vents. It will only hurt for a little while