Working Decoy Forums > Decoy Painting

Krylon Matte 1311 vs Krylon Crystal Clear Flat

<< < (2/2)

Brad H.:
I'm about in agreement with Mike.  I noticed that a few days after painting the decoys the paint would rub right off even with 2 or 3 coats of the krylon 1311.  However I left a decoy or two aside with no clear coat and they're much more resilient and dull.  I dont like the shine of 1311.  It's just too much in my opinion.  I've yet to find a clear coat that I was satisfied with but I haven't tried the CC flat.

MikeA:
In general the only thing I'll clear coat is after doing a wash over an area for durability. End up somewhat forced to do the whole thing afterwards or it looks stranger than usual. Don't cover the wash and it doesn't last very long at all

Scott Russell:

--- Quote from: Brad H. on February 26, 2010, 10:10:28 PM ---  I've yet to find a clear coat that I was satisfied with but I haven't tried the CC flat.

--- End quote ---

Ever tried Testors Dull Cote?  I like it much better than any of the Krylon products.

Brian Nilson:
I like the Krylon flat. That said just make sure you let your paint fully cure before top coating.

This is from the Liquitex web site.
"There is a difference between dry time and cure time.
Dry time is when the surface feels dry to the touch.
Cure time is when the acrylic film is fully stable, close to its maximum durability, water resistant and less vulnerable to attack by mild solvents. This usually takes at least three days for thin applications and may take much longer (up to two weeks or more) for thick applications such as with Liquitex Super Heavy Body Color ."

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version